The World Health Organization has raised the risk of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola turning into a national outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo to 'very high'.
For this strain, there is no approved vaccine or treatment. The WHO declared it a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on Sunday.
WHO Chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the risk assessment is 'very high' at the national level, 'high' at the regional level, and 'low' at the global level.
So far, 82 confirmed cases, 7 deaths, 177 suspected deaths, and nearly 750 suspected cases have been reported in Congo. The situation in Uganda is stable, with two confirmed cases among travelers from DRC, one fatal.
Abdirahman Mahamud, WHO Director of Health Emergency Alert & Response Operations, noted the high potential for rapid spread.
Measures in Uganda, including contact tracing and cancellation of mass gatherings, appear effective in curbing spread.
A U.S. national working in Congo has been confirmed infected and transferred to Germany for care. Another American with high-risk contact has been transferred to the Czech Republic.
WHO Chief Scientist Sylvie Briand said an experimental antiviral drug, Obeldesivir, can be used among contacts to prevent disease. Obeldesivir is an oral COVID antiviral from Gilead Sciences.
WHO noted early signs of surveillance working, but the outbreak likely started two months ago and transmission continues.












